Saturday, February 13, 2010

A brief history of TFI

Project: TFI

Looked At: Chapter 3

Starting word count: 80,421

Ending word count: 81,093

Gain/Loss: +672

Biggest problem: Like the last chapter, it needed a bit more fleshing out. I had skimmed over some parts that I had to go more in depth with.

Favorite Line: "This doesn't look so bad. I'll be out of here in no time, Jana thought to herself smugly as she filled in the first answer. Something she hadn't noticed before, in the corner of the screen was a tiny box that read "Page 1 of 572". Jana dropped the tablet and put her hands to her face. You have to be kidding me.
I'm going to be here until I die." –Page 47

Daily WTF: Surprisingly, I don't have one today.

________________________________________________________________________________


Today I found an older version of the Through Fire and Ice query that I had written on lined paper many, many moons ago. The date on it (because hey, I like dates) is from April of 07. So if anyone was wondering how long I've been working on TFI, the answer November of 2005. It started out as a NaNo project. A week and 23k words into it, I changed my mind. I liked the story too much, and was too afraid that pushing myself to finish in the month would ruin it. I finished it in August 2006, and shoved it in my sock drawer where no one would find it while I worked on the sequel, Truth in Coins.

TiC, by the way, still isn't done. Not even the first draft. It's close, don't get me wrong…but it's just not there yet. I have a beginning, middle, and end. It's just missing the beginning of the end, or is it the end of the middle?


To date, here are my current projects and their states of completion:

  1. Through Fire and Ice (TFI) – Rewrites
  2. Truth in Coins (TiC) – Rough draft 7/8 completed
  3. Eleven – Some basic ideas. Also the novel I'm using for the 2YN
  4. The River City – First chapter of rough draft, basic outline
  5. The Chronicles of Reist – Four sections in, outline and worldbulding complete
  6. Everliving/Unliving – Worldbuilding completed, first chapter, outline
  7. Untitled – The steampunk novel I've got brewing. Basic premise, not much more
  8. Once Upon A Dream – Premise, layout, and the ending

That's not counting any abandoned projects or stuff I have sitting in a drawer somewhere waiting for me to get back to it for revisions. Those are all things I'm (sort of) actively working on, in one form or another. Also included but not listed is the worldbuilding activity stuff. Yikes! I'd better get back to editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment